Monday, May 23, 2011

The black in me...

I'm struggling. I have found that I am offended by comments made but some public figures and for some reason that makes me petty. Steve Hofmeyer pulled the Kaffir card and i suppose my blogging about it makes me an accessory to his rubbish but it bothers me.

People have told me repeatedly that it doesn't matter. "who cares?" they say "Its Steve fucking Hofmeyer" but think about this: if you walk into a room and someone you don't know and don't particularly care for is telling their friends how incredibly lame and insignificant you are...would you be less offended just because you dont know them or their friends?

My boss asked: "So what if he is racist? Isn't that his right?" and I don't know the answer to that. All I know is that when someone says Kaffir, I know where the word is coming from, and it bothers me that there are people walking around with that kind of darkness...still...in 2011.

Some white people say: "disarm the word, all it means is Athiest" but i am afraid it is not that simple. So I'm sorry, but the black in me...the part of me that listened to Horror stories told by my parents and grandparents told of being rediculed and abused. The part of me that listens quietly and bites my tongue when I am told that I speak so well for a black. The part of me that revel in my achievements because I know i worked hard and they weren't handed to me on account of my past...that part of me is unable to accept that someone can use the word Kaffir to prove a point.

As black people, we are taught from birth to be humble and graceful and Mr Nelson Mandela made sure that we stayed true to those teachings. WE FORGAVE. So it is not fair that that word is thrown in our faces when someone is looking for attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment